Hopkinton Public Library, Hopkinton
Historical Renovation and Addition
(Completed September 2017)
Total Area: 22,000 square feet
This project is an addition and renovation to the historic Hopkinton Public Library. The existing library is comprised of two historic buildings: the original Hopkinton Public Library built in 1895, and the adjacent Episcopal Church built in 1898. An addition in 1967 joined the two buildings together and expanded the library to the current 5,783 square feet.
The addition and renovation project will expand the library to 22,000 square feet, adding public meeting space, expanded children's room craft / activity space, expansive technology classroom, young adult section with homework area, as well as several rooms for quiet and group study.
The project is located in a historical district, which placed constraints on changes to the exterior appearance of the existing buildings. The two structures were joined together with a glass foyer minimizing changes to the front elevations, and the addition was placed with one story below grade, in order to properly scale the addition with the existing structures and adjacent residential areas. Geothermal wells provide heating and cooling systems without any exterior roof-top mechanical equipment.